Sunday, November 1, 2009

Life is Fragile.

Kathy and I were out at a Halloween party last night at a friends house. It was good to see everyone there and we were settling in when the conversation of trying to find a ride back to BYU for someones kid came up. It was mentioned that maybe there was someone down for a funeral that might be going back. I recognized the name of the family mentioned, but was not aware of any deaths in that family. My friend told me about what had happened and all I could do was sit back in shock.
A while back a group of guys invited me to go with them for their morning bike rides. It was early in the morning, and we all rode with lights, jackets, coats, gloves anything that would keep us from freezing. I rode with the group for several months, and to be real honest, if I was asked to pick any of them out of a police line-up I couldn't, I could recognize them by bike and voice only due to the heavy riding gear and darkness that we rode in.
This invite to ride came at one of those low points in life, and I can't even begin to explain how grateful I was to this group for accepting me in and making me feel so welcome.
As we rode in the dark sometimes I would just listen to conversations, other times I would be involved in them. I felt like part of a close circle of friends, something that I don't normally do.

One of the guys that rode with us had a son that was on a mission in Japan and was going to return home soon. Every morning I would hear the sons name and listen to how he was doing, the plans they had to pick him up, and even what he was going to do when he came home.

A couple of months went by and it was time for the family to go pick up their son. When he came home, he became a part of the morning ride. He showed up on one of the ugliest mountain bikes that I had ever seen, but he still would kick my butt on the morning climb up Villa Ridge. On the way down he would fly. There is a stop sign that sits part way down the hill, it is kind of a stupid place for a sign, because there really is never any traffic and it goes to a nowhere street. One morning as I was descending (fat guys go down hill fast) I was ahead of most of the group, but slowed as I approached the sign. The new kid flew past me without even tapping the brakes. When we got to the bottom, I commented on the no slowing at the sign, and was he not worried about cars. He just smiled, shook his head and said "nah".
When he started working for his Dad for a short time before going to school, he would occasionally head back with me early and we would pace back until the turn-off. I can't say that we became great friends, because we never spoke much, he always rode with his I-pod in and I always wondered if he was rocking out, or listening to a church talk. The one thing I did know about him was that he was a good kid, and his Dad was proud of him and loved him.

Last night as I sat at the party trying to sort out the new information, I was numb as I was told of his accidental death. He was too young, it was not fair, and what a tragedy for this family that are such good people and have done so many good things for so many. I can't imagine going through such a loss, how do you say goodbye to someone so young that you love so much. Life is fragile, my friends son died doing something that he enjoyed. He passed away flying down a mountain, and had an accident. He will be missed by his parents, friends, family, and even the guy that he kind of new that would sometimes pace with him on his way back home to get ready for work. I know that in his short life he lived it to it's fullest, and left a positive impression on many. Life is Fragile. We don't get to choose how or when we will go, we only know that at some point we will all die. I know that I have a belief in a God, and it is my belief that when he arrived home that day, he was met by his Father in heaven, and welcomed home. I believe that we will all see our loved ones again, and when that day happens I feel that it will be a celebration for those on the other side. My thoughts and prayers go out to my friends family, it sure adds instant perspective to what is really important in life. I hope that time will heal the hole in their family.
It is my hope that anyone that reads this will take the time to look at the loved ones around them, tell them you love them. If they are not close by, pick up the phone and call them. Life is Fragile, but it has meaning, we have been placed and have been given the opportunity to be in a family. It is one of the greatest gifts that we have been given. Tonight when you get ready for bed, remember this and remember to give thanks to a wise, loving God that has put us here together for a reason.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks dad. That really is great. It is sad, but we know he is in a better place. I love you all, and miss everyone. See you thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Ron! It's always so hard when the young die.

    ReplyDelete