Friday, December 18, 2009

Christmas gatherings.

Christmas is almost here and that can only mean that soon the Mechams will get together and have their Christmas Party. Over the years we have had some memorable experiences with these parties. One year we spent it with the Swinns, and I think I got to be the donkey for the re-enactment of the birth of Christ. Looking back I should be insulted, you would have thought I would have been one of the three wise men, instead I had to settle for being an ass.
As the years have progressed we still have the story of the birth of baby Jesus. Sometimes we get lucky and have a real baby, other years we have to settle for a doll. During the years with the real baby it never fails that one of the boys will wrap a doll in a blanket, walk into the kitchen and somehow accidentally drop the doll, (Mom freaks out every time).
The Karaoke is awesome, I usually am asked to sing my special version of Chestnuts Roasting by an Open fire (aka The Christmas Song.) We have had impersonations of Elvis singing Blue Christmas, and my nephew Austin likes to entertain us with a song, he has no fear.
One of our recent favorites is Kathy's reenactment of the twelve days song, especially where she makes fake wings with her arms and shakes her but at 7 swans a swimming, and the look on her face when we get to eight geese a laying.
Cherise is coming early so we are excited. In the past we have had to hold up the phone so she could hear the madness from her home in California.
My sister in law Bridget is not as into it, but I think she is starting to warm up, and this year I hope she does something completely shocking for us to remember. Who knows what will happen this year, there hasn't ever been a fight, so that is good, but it could liven things up. Whatever happens one thing is for sure, we always have a blast, the kids are wayyyy too noisy, and Grandma Mecham never disappoints, she really knows how to throw a party.

3 comments:

  1. What fun family activities. I admit Winder get-together are not even close (fun factor)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your building a tradition, that like us, Steeds, Montoyas, and a few others seem to carry on today. It's part of the season (we have no Karaoke though)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like you always have a blast! Being with family is really what makes this time of year so special and fun. Thanks again for giving Doug and I a nice place to stay the other weekend. Grace loves dogs, she loved Roxy and Rex. Anyway, thanks again and we wish you a very happy and memorable Christmas!

    ReplyDelete